Translate

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Living life like a Gypsy

My life has been lived like a gypsy. The longest I've ever lived in one place, is when I was a child growing up in California. I was born in a small town in Northern California and lived there until I was fourteen years old.
 My parents divorced when I was five years old,  I never knew what it was like to live in a two parent household, mainly being raised by my mom,  but I remember the day my father moved out of the house like it was yesterday. I remember going in my room and packing my little suitcase,   I walked to the doorway where my mom was standing in the doorway of our kitchen to the garage and my dad was in his jeep, I stood in front of my mom with my suitcase and looked at my dad; He looked at me and asked me where I was going, and I told him I was going to live with him. I'll never forget him telling me I needed to stay with my mom. I was devastated.  I wanted to live with my dad, but he pulled out of the garage and left.  The rest of my childhood was split between parents, until my eighth grade year, this was the year my whole life the way I knew it would be changed forever. It was summer when we moved, we finally arrived in Utah after a two day trip in a U haul truck with my mom, brother, and our cat "spooks," I felt as if I was in a foreign country. Not knowing anything but California, I was shocked during my two day travel to discover the rest of the world didn't look like California. Arriving to Northern Utah all I saw was mountains. I was feeling claustrophobic. As beautiful as the mountains were I felt as if I couldn't breath, I was surrounded by mountains.  Utahn's had a language I'd never heard before. Using words, such as, "sluff," which, meant to "ditch" school, and "Oh my Heck," which, meant,  "Oh my God." or "Oh my heck", which was, "Oh my Hell", I was teased for talking to proper and pronouncing my "ing." ( For example, "nothing" would be "nothin.") Utah was a much more conservative state, not the liberal views I was use to in California. I was in a bit of culture shock when we first moved. Moving to Utah was the first of many moves; I didn't understand the chain reaction this move would create.

  We never stayed in one place, same home, for more than a couple years and that, would become a long time. As soon as I made friends; we were packing and moving to the next town. I became so many different people. One school, I was one of the popular kids, the next school I was everyones friend at school, but had no friend outside of school, the next school, only people that took me in would be the parking lot crew(the stoners or partiers), another school, I experienced my first boyfriend and it was just the two of us, not two schools would be the same experience. I quickly learned how different people were depending on where they lived. I experienced all kinds of attitudes from people, how some towns embraced new people moving in and others, didn't accept change at all. Sadly, I was judged for being new, or coming from a single parent home, not having enough money, not being religious enough and the best one of all, I was told once they didn't like me, because I was. "too nice." 
By the time I was nineteen. I had moved to seven different towns, experienced 2 more failed marriage, went to five different Elementary schools, two different middle schools, and four different High Schools.

I turned eighteen and was on a plane the day after High School graduation to begin my own journey. It all started with me being a Nanny in New York. A couple of friends joined me making this their journey too, so I wasn't all alone.  I met a lot of wonderful people and had an experience of a lifetime. It was my first time being on my own,  I made all my own decisions.  I felt so carefree, as if the world was ALL mine! I loved the weekends; I would take the train with friends and go into Manhattan, jumping on the giant piano in FAO Swartz(wanted to do that, ever since watching "Big"),walking down Time Square and taking pictures with President Reagan and other card board life size images of celebrities we would see on the sidewalks, Seeing Time Square, Broadway and Tiffany's was memorizing, being able to be at the Macy's Thanksgiving parade was unforgettable and the taxi rides, those were so awesome,  I'll never forget a taxi running over my foot in front of Macy's.  Don't get in the taxis way! Going to "SOHO" and buying my first imitation "guess" watch from a guy selling them on the street. Walking through Grenwich village and taking pictures with random people.(still have all those pictures) and riding the subway. Regretfully, not taking the boat to the lady herself or going inside "Twin Towers" are the things I wish I had done while I was there. I walked past both so many times.  After "9/11" I regretted it even more. 

While being a Nanny, I got to go on their family vacation to Nantucket.  We drove the East Coast and it was astonishing. I toured historical homes in Rhode Island,  and picnicked in Massachusetts, but the most memorable of them all was seeing all the transvestites in Cape Cod. Talk about an eye opening experience for a girl coming from Utah. They dressed in high heels, short mini skirts, and sleazy tank tops. Some had feathers around their necks twirling and walking in circles, with such attitude.  Reggae music in the background all along the beach. There were bands all up and down the Cape Cod and people dancing everywhere. I was so mesmerized, by Cape Cod.  
The next morning we took the 3 hour ferry ride over to Nantucket. It was breathtaking. Staring in the open ocean and imagining everything underneath the ocean waters, hoping to see anything jump out of the water, but never did. 
Nantucket, was an amazing island. The streets were made of cobblestone and everyone got around by moped. We took an excursion to watch the whales and the only thing I ended up watching was the captains son who was guiding the sails on the boat. He couldn't have been much older than me at the time and he was gorgeous. Somehow, I managed to get a picture of us on the boat and to this day still have the picture. I often wonder what ever came of him. Nantucket is one place I have always wanted to go back and see.
 
In my adult life I continued moving around. Apple didn't fall far from the tree in moving around aspect. My husband and I have lived in eight different places and three states. life circumstances have kept us moving around.

There has been good and bad that's come with moving around so much, but it's the only life I've ever known.  There has been lesson's learned from every place I have lived  I wouldn't trade the memories. I've met wonderful people and made some lifetime friends.  Moving around can be hard, means lots of starting over, sometimes devastating, but it can also be a blessing, rewarding, liberating and wonderful. 

" Be a traveler, not a tourist. Try new things, meet new people, and look beyond what's right in front of you. Those are the keys to understanding this amazing world we live in." Andrew Zimmern

 I have experienced my share of laughter, tears, trials and tribulations, I've had a lifetime of learning and I continue to learn everyday. I know my life isn't an easy one or for that matter a normal one, but it's MINE. 

You can become hateful, angry, and bitter, or you can see the positive in every situation and the lesson to learn, this is what determines the integrity, dignity, and character of your soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment